Wednesday 16 November 2011

Home

Starting to get used to things here now. Settled in, met some new people. All of our belongings (minus a le creuset dish) have arrived and are adorning the place.

Managing to find things to occupy myself- you think of all the free time but believe me it can get swallowed up pretty easy, especially with chores in such a big apartment, still I am not denying I do not have the easy life here, currently not working.

There is a lovely picturesque promenade walk for me, bustling with tourists and locals sauntering by the sea, the waves ever roaring at this time of year. However a new favourite of mine is the much quieter route behind the apartments through the traditional streets with its thin paths, open doorways with women cleaning their houses fastidously. Here there are much fewer cars but more little grocery shops and fruit vans. Reminiscent of a French or Italian street and the houses fascinate me, what with their architecture: the grand doors twice the size of a UK one, the shuttered windows usually open and emitting casserole type aromas,the religious plaques sat proudly on their stone walls. When i get the chance (when a door is open wide) I slyly peer in, from afar mind, at the inside of these homes and usually what greets me is the sight of a homely but dark kitchen. They like dark interiors here, i suspect it is due to the unrelenting summers they have and I am yet to experience. The idea is is that these homes with their tiled floors and walls give a much cooler environment, all well and good until December to February it seems when people wear two jumpers indoors then peel them off to go outside where it is that bit warmer!
Anyway, I digress, it is so peacefully quiet back there on the back streets, with the occasational resident or lost tourist passing and with the lazy sun casting its rays atop my shoulders I can honestly say I feel both very relaxed and very lucky. The meditarranean way of life is an enjoyable one, much slower to what I am used to (unless you get onto the roads here) but boy is it enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment