Tuesday 1 November 2011

Forgive me

Its been a while since I posted. I have been a mixture of busy and ill.
What has happened since i last blogged:

We had visitors both my parents and sister and Dave and Chris' parents. Had a great time with them all. With Chris' parents (for the visitors came at different times) we went shopping, then on the South bus tour and stopped off for a look around and drink in the pretty marina that is Victoriosa. We went to an amazing restaurant called Barracuda, apparently popular amoung the famous, David Beckham has dined there etc etc. It was expensive, John generously paid and it was very tasty food. The best part was the decor in there, its really special. The next day we went on a boat tour, it was interesting as it went to places i had not seen from certain angles and it was a beautifully hot day, so i topped up the tan in the window seat!

When my parents, Beth and Dave arrived we had some bad weather, storms! I woke up from the noise of crashing thunder one night. My Mum and I, who love the sun walked down to Tigne Point to a beach club and sat and caught some rays. We had lunch at a lovely cafe (I.D in Sliema) and had the most amazing Bannoffee pie, my mother can attest to this! Later that day my Dad and I went into a lovely sea bath- that is to say there were large baths cut into rock and so went dived in (him literally, not me!) and had a good hour or so bobbing in the waves and catching up. We went for a lovely meal for my Birthday in a favourite of Chris and I's called "The Exiles" a stylish new restaurant that is good value. We did some sightseeing this time going on the North bus route- which took us to Mdina.

Now Mdina, once was the capital, it is known as the walled city (although i would query it being a city as it felt very small and of village if not hamlet size!)It is referred to as such because it is surrounded by wall. It is part of an old Roman settlement. Ah,it was beautiful. It was like Italy, the streets all cobbled and unspoilt in terms of commerce, there were just a few restaurants, a museum and not many shops at all. Put it this way, you would be struggling to shop for a weeks groceries there and definitely no clothes! It was all the more magical when we were there as it was a Sunday and a wedding was taking place, a beautiful bride passed us in a horse led carraige and brought her to a beautiful ornate church.

We also went to Valetta that day. We were enchanted by its sprawling streets and old buildings. The next day I went to Valetta again with my sister and Dave who liked it also. A charming capital city. On the last day we sunbathed at the Hilton where my parents stayed for the night.


I sorted out a niggling broken tooth recently too, although the antibiotics then made me ill. (i always suffer from the side effects)It was a brilliant dentist practice where I got an appointment more or less on the spot. I got a root canal for the NHS price(if not a bit cheaper) but from a very efficient dentist and without the long waiting list.
I went to the doctors the following week and again it was fairly impressive service. It was a sweet old doctor and I paid 15 euros to see him and only waited 15 minutes (used to wait in London for an hour and that was for a booking, which this was not)

Back to the present; we are still awaiting our stuff, i think i shall withold from naming and shaming for now only to say that we paid an extortionate amount, were quoted 1 month and instead it has been two. Will be good to get our stuff, mainly the books for me of course :)

We went out this weekend with someone who Chris works with, and his wife, they were a lovely Maltese couple. It was a great night. I learnt the locals are in great dismay at the current bus service here, something I was not surprised to learn. We had a fantastic fish supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment