Thursday 29 September 2011

Missing home?


Not really missing UK too much, missing the people i.e family and friends. There are a few things I do miss these are:

The Greenery- England is a lovely lush place, here it is dry and when you see soil you can tell it is not very fertile just by sight. There are palm and olive trees about but not much grass at all, in fact Im not sure I have seen any grass yet!

The food- now I am a bit naughty in saying this because so far at every restaurant I have been to, and I have been to about six or seven here now, they are really tasty. However when you go to the supermarkets, I have found a few now, mainly in Sliema, there is not much choice and it does not always look to be the best quality. Having said that there are a lot of french food products here and of course Italian.
Meat, fish and dairy are cheaper though and you can get some juicy prawns out here for next to nothing.

The people- yes us Brits are a bit less warm than people over here, but we know how to queue. Enough said!

Thats about all I miss, you really do realise though what a plentiful array of commercial goods the UK has (im sure most is imported but still) so clothes, household goods, food, just seems that bit more expensive for less.

Malta does have the pleasant climate which will at some point bronze me, beautiful bays, splendid restaurants and much more relaxed feel to it, which is amazing and welcomed by myself and Chris.
You walk along the promenade and see people sitting for a chat, runners taking route among the beautiful coast, people sitting in a bar at the side, with a cool beer. There is no council tax, yet they pick rubbish up every day. No TV license. Less taxes. Plus you can get a brilliant apartment for about a third of what they would charge in the London area.

I have spent my days trying to be constructive, shopping for the essentials, cleaning products, water etc. Ironing and washing for Chris. Tidying the place. Relaxing, reading ,eating lunch in a little cafe. Trying to get familiar with my surroundings, went on another bus tour. Saw the beautiful Blue Grotto.


Set up a bank account here, sent some postcards...Its been great. The internet is now set up, it was sorted this morning, we have good and fast connection and I feel more in touch with the world. Was previously relying on free wifi in cafes and bars. At the weekend we have some exploration and shopping planned- we need some household items, on the list at some point is a barbecue for the balcony, a coffee machine and probably now a new bed- ours is not very comfy and creaks at every turn, hell almost every blink of the eye it is that creaky!
Went to the supermarket today, a Carrefour in Sliema, picked up dinner for Chris, made him a nice chicken dish, I myself had pasta but Chris having eaten pasta and pizza for almost 5 nights in a row, like myself, decided no more carbs! Went on a touch to the South of the island, which is where I saw the Blue Grotto- it was a treacherous journey on this open topped, rickety old tour bus, I myself not being on the small side was eyeing up the obese tourists who boarded and sat on my side. It was our side which dangerously swayed probably unsurprisingly, leaning, the breaks groaning at our cumulative weight. Not comforting when we drove down winding roads next to cavenous ravines. It was really quite scary, but the view was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment